Toodle the poodle is lucky to be alive after police found the tiny poodle unconscious on the streets of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, next to her owner. Both had allegedly overdosed on fentanyl.
The SPCA’s Philadelphia facility shared that they received a call on Monday, April 17 from a local hospital, Blue Pearl Emergency Hospital, saying a dog was brought to them showing symptoms of an overdose.
People had allegedly found the dog “alongside a person in Kensington,” according to a Twitter post by the Pennsylvania SPCA. While police took care of reviving the person, “Good Samaritans were charged with getting help for the dog,” the SPCA said.A small poodle was saved by Narcan after being found “unconscious and unresponsive” in Pennsylvania
A small poodle, named Toodles, was saved by Narcan after being found “unconscious and unresponsive” in Pennsylvania. (Pennsylvania SPCA)
Toodles the poodle was sent to SPCA’s Philadelphia facility by Good Samaritans who said they found him “alongside a person in Kensington.” (Pennsylvania SPCA)
Duran Singletary, the PSPCA Manager of Animal Care and Shelter Administration, said Toodles story is especially heartbreaking, but said that the response from good-hearted people is equally heartwarming.
26-POUND TABBY CAT GOES VIRAL ON SOCIAL MEDIA
“Good Samaritans took him to Blue Pearl Emergency Animal Hospital,” Singletary told FOX 29 Philadelphia. “They provided him with Narcan, which immediately started to reverse the effects. We had a catheter in Toodles initially to help work all of the remaining substance out of his system. Since then, he’s made a phenomenal recovery.”
After veterinarians administrated Narcan through an IV, Toodles immediately began reviving.
Toodles had ingested drugs, and vets at “Blue Pearl administered Narcan,” the animal shelter said. (Pennsylvania SPCA)
After an investigation, officials said that Toodles’ previous owners claimed to “share drugs with the dog.”
US ARMY SPECIALIST HOPES TO RESCUE HELPLESS PUP FOUND OVERSEAS: ‘STRUGGLING TO SURVIVE’
“It is unimaginable what would have happened if Toodles hadn’t been taken to a veterinarian. But, thanks to the quick work of the Good Samaritans, and the lifesaving work of Blue Pearl, Toodles is alive today,” PSPCA officials said in a press release.
Toodles was placed on an IV and was “monitored closely to ensure that the drugs were working their way out of his system.” (Pennsylvania SPCA)
Toodles has since been turned over to the PSPCA and has been receiving ongoing care and treatment. Over the last several days, he has made a full recovery with PSPCA worker’s commenting that he is the “sweetest pup around.”
CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP FOR OUR LIFESTYLE NEWSLETTER
“Toodles could have died. He could have had lasting impacts from the drugs that he ingested. But, today he is safe, and he has a new future ahead of him,” the PSPCA added.
“Toodles could have died. He could have had lasting impacts from the drugs that he ingested. But, today he is safe, and he has a new future ahead of him.”
— SPCA Philadelphia
The SPCA said Toodles made a full recovery and is the “sweetest pup around.” (Pennsylvania SPCA)
CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP
The shelter did not comment on the person’s condition.